Monday, February 1, 2010

I'm Going to Russia!!

So this has been a whirlwind weekend! I got the call on Thursday and I have to be in Russia this coming Sunday!! I was going out of town this last weekend so I tried to get all the major stuff done on Thursday and Friday before I left and now I'm back and trying to get everything else taken care of.

And what's even crazier - It's A Girl!!
She is very cute - 9 months old with dark hair and kinda chunky. I was not expecting a girl at all since I didn't specify gender and it's thrown me for a loop a little bit. For those of you not in the adoption world, when you don't specify gender you are more than likely going to be referred a boy because there tends to be more boys in the orphanages than girls.

I had room colors and decorations all picked out - luckily I hadn't bought anything or painted anything yet- and now I have to rethink all of it. Even the quilt I was working on has more "boyish" colors but I can make it work. I'm definitely going to use it since I spent all the time on it! I had bought a few clothes at garage sales, luckily not much, but at least I know a little boy in the family who can use them :) It just might take him a while to grow into them.

I got my flights booked on Friday, visas sent out, hotel is already taken care of. Now I just need to move on to details like getting crisp money and packing. Oh, and to make my life so much easier I hit something on the interstate late last night (I think it was a dog) and totally wrecked my car. At least it is driveable but my whole front bumper and my right headlight is gone.

I will be posting from Russia (hopefully) on what's going on everyday. I know I love reading people's blogs when they are in Russia. It's just so exciting and it really helps to know what to expect when it's your turn. So thanks to all of you who have already been there done that - it really does help and hopefully I'll be able to help someone out too!

6 comments:

  1. I'm soooo excited for you! Hope you can get everything done in time and have a fantastic trip!!!!! Soo excited for you! :-) looking to reading your blog while in Russia...I love it too!!

    Carala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and I can so relate!

    I also have to be in Russia on Sunday and it's been a mad scramble trying to get everything done..

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT!!! When you emailed me there was no news!!! Congrats a million times over! I know that RUSH... no sage advice - just hang on tight! Moscow airport... email me... seriously... email me :) I put a list of things on my blog that I was glad I took (comfort food stuff and essentials (Luna bars from Costco - trust me... life savers)) Go meet your girl and adjust to pretty in pink. From one single gal to another this is going to be the most surreal, amazing, life changing trip - take a video camera, a million pictures and load skype on your computer (it's super easy) and call your family at home. Savor each moment. One last thing - don't assume anything... Ask for what you want even if you think they will say no (can I change her diaper? Can I put an outfit I brought for her on? can I see her crib? Can I take a picture of her care givers? You never know...) YAHOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS .... and I will keep you both in my prayers :) What region are you going to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Amy!! Enjoy every bit of this amazing yet insane experience. I'll be checking your blog and Facebook for updates. Please don't keep everyone in suspense and post of picture of her minus the face of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATS! And a girl - how fun! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete