Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Another Great Day

So last night we went to the baby home at 6 and were there for about an hour. It went really well and we just played and I held her for a lot of the time.

This morning we woke up (after someone in the room decided to get up at 2:00 and read and eat beef jerky - don't ask) and walked to the church that is about 2 blocks away and went in for a minute. They were in the middle of a service so we didn't stay long. Then we just walked around the block. It snowed all day today and the streets are definitely harder to drive through. I'm so glad I'm not driving - there is no way I'd be able to do it. I haven't been really seen the horrible driving that everyone talks about - Vladimir is actually a very good driver. Maybe it's because I knew what to expect since I've been to Russia before.
Nadya and Vladimir picked us up a little earlier today and we went to the open air market to look at hats. Don't worry - I have some great pictures to come :) Then we went to the Aeronautics museum which was interesting. Then we headed to the most important place in Kaluga - the baby home!

Our first visit today didn't go as well as yesterday. We were in the music room again but I think she is teething and she's breathing pretty heavy so I think she might be getting a cold. She didn't want much to do with any of the toys so I held her most of the time. It was still a good visit but my arms were getting sore by the end of our visit!
Then we headed to the Pub restaurant and then walked back to the hotel to take a little nap. We went back to the baby home tonight at 6 and she was in a much better mood. She was laughing and playing and I heard her really cry for the first time. She was sitting up and playing and started falling backwards and my mom caught her but it startled her and she just started crying. Only one tear though! Then there were some great fake crys that we couldn't help but laugh at - it was pretty funny.
Then we headed back to the hotel. My dad has been trying to figure out the satelite on the tv to find an english station. What was the one thing I forgot? DVD's of course! So we came across a music video station that had an American rap song on it so we watched it for a minute and then my dad asked, "Is this in english?" My mom and I were rolling - it was hilarious! You have to know my dad and his huge hatred of rap music. We finally found CNN so we're good now and it only took us 2 days :)

Tomorrow we head to the notary to sign all the paperwork and get passport pictures taken of a certain someone :) So tomorrow I'll let everyone know her name and I'll post a glimpse of what she looks like.
Here are a few pictures to tide you over.

This is the hat market: My dad and his purchase at the museum:




My dad and I in front of the baby home



Me posing with the shawl the Nadya made me take to wear under my coat because she said my wool coat wasn't warm enough :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, SO very glad that you had a good day--it all sounds so very familiar and happy, and that is SUCH a good thing. Please say hi to Nadia and Vladimir and the whole Kaluga bunch for us if you get a chance--they really made our whole trip just so special! Hope that tomorrow is a great day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I have missed your blog!! I am laughing at everything you say--We were there last February and Nadya insisted every time she saw me that I was not dressed warm enough. I am glad that shawl is not the one my girlfriend made and I gave Nadya!! We ate at the Pub, too :) Love reading blogs by Kaulga people! Tell Nadya and Vladimir I said hi. Also, since you are there, can you tell me if you see a big rooster (cock) outside?? We supposedly donated that but haven't gotten confirmation that the money was actually spent on that. Will pray for you for your days in Kaluga!
    MIchelle and Randy Houk with Charlie
    ps our blog is http://houkadoption.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everything is going so well and that your parents are able to share such a special time with you. Tell Nadya and everyone hello!!!

    ReplyDelete