Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cautiously Optimistic

Well, this last week has really not been any fun at all. One minute my heart is sinking and the next I'm thinking everything is going to be fine and I will be in Russia next month.
I did get a court date for May 12th and was actually going to buy my plane tickets and send passports in to get my visas on the day this whole scandal broke. I'm glad I didn't send them in!

So this last week I've just been watching the news (bad choice obviously!) and checking Frua and emailing my agency. For those of you that don't know, the news agencies misreported that Russia had stopped all adoptions but they have not. They could at any time though which really makes it hard to plan. I have to buy my plane tickets and send for my visas by this coming Friday to keep the rate that I've been quoted. I'm definitely making the tickets changeable and refundable! I was hoping to have some more news on Tuesday when the delegation from the US was supposed to be in Moscow to discuss everything, but now I've heard that they will be delayed because of the volcanic ash - we just can't catch a break!

I have decided that if I do get to go, that I will stay in Russia for the 10 day waiting period. It's getting to be closer to high season so ticket prices are going up and it will just make me feel better knowing that I'm in the country. I know this isn't true but in my head I feel like if I stay, they'll have to let me bring her home! Completely unreasonable but it will keep me sane so that's what I'm doing!

There are so many things I need to do to prepare for Norah but half the time my heart just isn't in it - I think it's just self-preservation in case things do fall apart. But I have decided to be positive (trying my best!) and move forward and get things done. So this week my goal is to finish the nursery. I changed some things around and I'll post pictures once I get everything the way I want it. I know I'm being a little ridiculous about it since I know she won't care at all, but it's one of the few things I can control and the interior designer just comes out in me and I want it to look awesome.

My church threw me a great shower a couple of weeks ago and I got a lot of great things. Here are a few pictures from the shower. My friends make these great clocks and I was planning on buying one for the nursery but then they surprised me with it at the shower! Here's my shameless plug for them: www.urbanposture.etsy.com





3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, we are in Moscow right now and by talking to our facilitator here I got her point of view on the possible adoption delays/freeze. She believed the adoption processes that have started, meaning a referral was given and a Trip 1 has happened, will move forward and be completed. But probably families waiting to receive their referral will have to wait several months until the US and Russia sign the agreement. So, even though is painful for the families waiting for their referral (but I know that the wait after you have met your referral is way worse), I really how things continue moving along for people like you.
    Take care,
    Sinziana

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey amy!
    great plan to stay in country for the 10 days -- we stayed in an apt and loved our experience! i hope that things are not delayed and you get there AOK!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    It's Teresa from the Yahoo board. Hang in there - You'll be back before you know it! I am continuing to pray that we will also be able to make our 1st trip to Moscow. I know the first trip is always really busy, but I really hope we get to meet up with you and some other familes from our agency while we are there. Your nursery is really sweet!!
    If you would like to follow along our blog, too, please email me at ttownley7@gmail.com
    Take care and All the Best!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete